Bedroom suite

The limestone cottage was built around 1880 by local stonemason George Morce as his own home and is now beautifully restored so that guests can enjoy modern comforts in an historic setting.

Just 400 metres from the Sorrento Village, it is an easy stroll to the shops, restaurants, bay and ocean beaches and the ferry to Queenscliff.

The suites are spacious with their own lounge and dining areas, queen size or king-size and single beds, Victorian open gas log fires, flat screen television, DVD player, CD player, fridge, tea and coffee making facilities, and luxury ensuite bathrooms with double spas.

Sumptuous breakfasts are served each morning, if the weather permits breakfast can be served in the cottage garden! Guest facilities include a barbecue area, communal kitchen and commercial laundry.



 History & Background

The following is extracted from;place_id=103066

front view of cottageEastcliff is of regional significance for its association with successful Sorrento stonemason, George Morce who probably constructed the
residence and was its first owner. He continued ownership for a period of thirty-six years. It is also of significance as an unusual
limestone cottage which retains its setting, scale and form, the regional motif of brick quoining, and timber bargeboards and finials.

The history of this site must be considered in relation to Kiaora at 44 Donalda Avenue in Sorrento because they were originally on one
property owned by George Morce. Morce was a stonemason who built a number of significant limestone buildings in Sorrento, including St John's
church of England, 1873; Mornington hotel (now Koonya), 1876; Mechanics Institute (now Historical Society), c1877 with additions 1895; and
the Sorrento Police Station, 1890.

Significant changes in the rated value of the property occurred in 1888/9 and 1905/6. Three houses are noted on the property at this later
stage and it is not known if the third house still exists. It is unlikely that in 1888/9, the listing of 30 pounds and 10 pounds related to
Eastcliff and Kiaora, as a lesser outhouse. Some stylistic details at Eastcliff, including the bargeboards and finials, suggest that
substantial additions and alterations may have occurred c1905. Further research is required to clarify the construction dates.

George Morce owned Eastcliff from 1882 until 1918, and it is from that date that Kiaora is separately listed in the Shire rate books.
Eastcliff is a limestone cottage with a symmetrical facade composed of end wings with a verandah section between. There are red brick quoins
in the regional style to the mid section and the difference in quality of detailing suggests the wings may be a later addition. The house has
been altered to the rear and has a new roof and verandah. It features decorative timber bargeboards, finely carved like lace-work, and
finials to the wings. The cottage garden setting enhances the residence.

Front view of Eastcliff Cottage B&B